Event 1: “Welcome to My Woods”, with Linda Weintraub

“The problem is not that we are too materialistic—it is that we are not materialistic enough.” This past Thursday, I attended Linda Weintraub’s Art|Sci Gallery, which was part of Eco-centric Art+Science Week. Linda Weintraub is an educator, author, and artist who believes in the beauty and necessity of environmental consciousness, through which people can discover newfound respect for the physical world. The interactive exhibition opened my senses and allowed me a taste of the woods of New York. I am glad to have experienced the ideals of ecological materialism and contemporary art through Linda’s project!

("Welcome to My Woods" Poster in Gallery)

She first shared her inspiration for this gallery: an undergraduate student who taught underprivileged high school students in Los Angeles. This undergraduate was shocked by how few of them had seen the ocean, and even more dismayed when she saw how strange it was for them to walk on the sandy beach. The high school students’ disconnect with the natural world inspired Linda Weintraub to create an interactive gallery about Neomaterialism. This philosophy asks people to become immersed in the environment, using only the physical senses to understand and appreciate all the materials in the world.

(Poster showing Neomaterialism art)

Surprisingly, Linda’s “Welcome to My Woods” exhibit let me experience the woods near her home in New York. Deer bones, acorn tops, mushrooms, moss on tree branches, and many other natural objects were placed in various boxes within the gallery. Focusing on the colors, textures, smells, and tastes, I became more aware of the complexities of these materials. I particularly focused on the indescribable smell of seed pods, as well as the smokiness of fresh maple syrup, which Linda obtained after boiling sap over an open fire. Lastly, I took off my shoes and walked along a circle of various grounds, such as moss, tree bark, and dried-up seeds.

(A circle of nature for students to walk on)


Overall, I greatly appreciate Linda Weintraub’s efforts to gather all of these experiences from her woods and bring them to the CNSI building at UCLA. The interactive workshop reminded me of my recent trip to Joshua Tree National Park, where I climbed a variety of rock formations and observed the art prevalent in nature. I had a great time learning about Neomaterialism!

(Group Picture!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Event 3: Final Review/Study Guide – 5/24

Event 2: Mnemoawari – by Elí Joteva